Friday, January 20, 2006

Running Bad? Try cashing in something

Got away from PS last night and played the FT PL Omaha $5 tournament. About 300 players, and Chris Ferguson, who went out in what seemed like the first 5 minutes. Me, I played tight, made good decisions, and moved along in "survive/advance" style. I ended up 11th. Not a good payday for 3+ hours, as the real money started at 6th, but I am still relatively pleased. Tell me what you think of my "fatal" decision.

Full Tilt $5 + $0.50 Tournament 1500/3000 - Pot Limit Omaha
Seat 2: columbo (35,828) SHORT STACK
Seat 3: jonb223 (100,420)
Seat 5: Smackiee (38,242)
Seat 6: Trevor Yetman (60,460)
Seat 8: fitter565 (38,448)
Seat 9: BigGoof20 (54,101)
Smackiee posts the small blind of 1,500
Trevor Yetman posts the big blind of 3,000
The button is in seat #3
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to columbo [Ts Jc Js Ks] +Definitly playable hand.
fitter565 folds
BigGoof20 folds
columbo raises to 6,000 +Do not wish to limp because I can often pick up the pot right here.
jonb223 folds
Smackiee folds
Trevor Yetman calls 3,000 +Good, heads up. But he has me outchipped 2-1.
*** FLOP *** [4d 8s 3s]

This SEEMS like a good flop for me. I have the over pair and the second nut flush draw. It seems unlikely that he played a hand that would have hit this flop.

Trevor Yetman bets 13,500
columbo has 15 seconds left to act

Ok, here is why I am thinking. I am figuring that either my JJ is ahead and my flush is behind OR my JJ is behind and my flush draw is better. I am not sure which one he bet, so my only option is to either fold or apply pressure. I can't see folding as the short stack with a reasonable hand and a good flop. So, I have to push here, right?

columbo raises to 29,828, and is all in
Trevor Yetman calls 16,328
columbo shows [Ts Jc Js Ks]
Trevor Yetman shows [Kh Qs Qd As]

So, I was behind on BOTH the pair and the DRAW. Here is where you just shake your head and take your licks.

*** TURN *** [4d 8s 3s] [2h]
*** RIVER *** [4d 8s 3s 2h] [7d]
columbo shows a pair of Jacks
Trevor Yetman shows a pair of Queens
Trevor Yetman wins the pot (73,156) with a pair of Queens
columbo goes to sleep (2am EST)

So, are you with me or second guessing me?

--------------------------------------------------------

In other news, my daughter turned 5. She CANCELLED the plans for the day and DICTATED new ones on the fly. She cancelled the very expensive excursion to the indoor arcade center and rainforest cafe that she originally wanted, opting instead for a private viewing of Hello Kitty movies and a romp through the McDonalds tunnels.

Birthday #1 (daughter turns 9): Indoor arcade, Rainforest Cafe, sleepover, OVER $200
Birthday #2 (daughter turns 5): Blockbuster, McDonalds, TBD : $18.50

Who would have thought it possible? (I feel almost guilty)

1 comment:

Joaquin "The Rooster" Ochoa said...

This is such a tough hand. Yet, I hate to say this...you fold when he comes out betting. You want something far more solid to go out on. You have to figure any hand at this point that you play has to be HUGE! Jack's are great, but not the best possible hand by far. Then again, I just suck.