Saturday, July 22, 2006

Home Game Woes

Interesting night last night. I played to cash and not to win. I sometimes do this, and I am not sure why, but I finished just inside the bubble in 4th.

There was some minor controversy when a player who came by before the game and said to blind them off until level 2 (30 minutes), was still not here at level 4 (90 minutes). Reluctantly, and after 2 phone call attempts, we picked up the chips. He walked in 10 minutes later.

When the blinds got big, and we were playing 7 handed and the UtG+1 raised it 3xBB. He is a tight player, and I was confused as to what to do with ATs. I did not want to see a flop out of position to such strength, I did not want to call, and I did not want to raise. After mulling it over, I made a tight fold. Anyone? comments?

You think THAT was bad? listen up.

we are now 6 handed and the same player does this again from the exact same position. (I realize now that he was probably attacking my blinds every other round.) Rich, on my right, thinks for a while and goes all in. I look down at AQo. I read our first raiser as pot committed and Rich with a pair so I had a race... But I did not want AQ vs. two players so I fold. Then, the UtG plyaers surprising folds and I am left with my overly-tight fold to contemplate.

At the final table, I played very carefully. Bracelet is on my right in the SB and all fold to him. He pops me to 3xBB and I fold K9s. Again, very tight. Next round, exact same thing, and I look at KJ. I KNOW he has an Ace, I just can see it. He knows I might call because he raped me last round. Instead of pushing all in, I decide to run a stop N go. I call, and when the flop comes KJx I push all in on the bluff that is now not a bluff. He decides it just isnt enough chips to fold, but then folds anyways.

Because of that hand, I squeak into the money in 4th. Then, I get all in from the BB again against a UtG all in. I put him on a middling pair, so my 9To is a race. Plus, the BB was 30% of my stack, so I feel this is an easy call. He has 33 and I feel good about the call. But no cards helped either of us and I was out.

I dont feel my concentration was up to par. I was not remembering ranges that players would play, I noticed too late someone attacking my blinds, and twice I let my opponent create the pressure point. I feel lucky to have survived on basic poker 101. "Play tight".

3 comments:

The Bracelet said...

Who ended up winning?

He had a huge stack, but I'm still thinking the guy to your left couldn't hold the lead. Just a guess based on the suckout tide that washed in on the table.

Ozle said...

I think your folds were good. Id question the K9 fold, depending on the type of player who is in the SB. If he is just stealing your chips come over the top.

Also possibly waiting for the player to bet when you hit top two pair. Slightly risky, but you were small and needed to take a few risks if you wanted to win

Although you were saying you were playing to place and not to win, thats a bad way to think really. Leads to even more tighter play than usual.

Still well done placing in the money (Although 4th out of 8 isn't that high up, we usually only pay first 3 in 10 people games)

columbo (at eifco dot org) said...

it was 4th out of 18, not 8... but your point is still valid.