Thursday, July 07, 2016

Event 56 racap - day 2 of 2

I start day two after doing my homework. I didn't have a good table draw anymore. I was going to break relatively quickly, and had 7 regs at the table, including a short stacked (15BB) Main Event 2015 final table player.

The bubble really popped so fast, I didnt even play a significant hand.

Next is a hand where I wish I had more notes. I open in the CO with J9s. The SB (Who was Nathan Tuthill). I completely wiff the Kxx flop, but I can rep the King easily here and I c-bet. He calls. The turn is an blank and it goes check-check. The river is an Ace and here is where I think I can take advantage of my REC image. There is an old saying, "When a Rec bombs the river, he has it". So I decide to play that cars, but I think I bet 60% pot to look less bluffy. Nathan, tanks for about 90 seconds while I just sit still. In the end, he surprises me with a hero call and I muck. If my table draw was better, I could have feasted off the image here for hours. In hindsight, I think the Ace was a POOR bluffing card as a King may just check behind...

Next hand I get 33 and I just chuck it. I have $64k and I am trying to decide what my current ranges should be... Table break.

New table, short stack shoves from the button. I have A6o in the BB and I pause, but call. He has some random two cards and I hold. Back up to $70k

A shorter stack opens and I have 88. I have created some bad spots recently by 3 betting 88, but in this case, I think his shorter stack size really boxed him in. The 3-bet works and I pick up some chippies.

I am not defending my BB well because the LP players have deep stacks.

Someone from MP (deep stack, opening many hands, spewy river calls) min opens (his standard open) and I 3 bet AJ from position. Now he MIN 4 bets? I know that there are guys out there that do this all the time, but I was thinking, "why"? His range is still wide in my eyes, so I call. Flop is Ten high and I have a backdoor flush to go with two overs. I am ready to peel and he him bets the pot. I KNOW the math demands a call here. I KNOW this. But I fold. He was playing this hand differently than he played the others I had seen and I made a bad fold. A small mistake to avoid a perhaps larger one. NOT A good play at all. But I did it. (he later did this to someone else, then bet 2x pot on river.)

MP raises and I defend my BB with AJs. The flop is KJx and I call his c-bet. Turn brings me a flush draw and it goes check-check. River is a total blank, but he checks. I think he has air, but check behind. I dont recall what he had, but my middle pair is good.

In the next hand I had KK. I think I might have been the UtG. I took it down pre-flop with a 3-bet is all my notes say. I recall I opened for 2.5x because I didnt want to limp.

Spewy-LAG player opens and I call very loose with 69s from button just to see a flop in position. BB wakes up with a hand and shoves. LAG calls. Flop is A69. D'oh. Oh well. Had BB not shoved, would have brutalized SLAG.

I have about 40BB at the end of L13.

To start L14, I induce a 3 bet by flatting my AK. A 4-bet squeeze comes and I get to shove and pick up $30k in chips without seeing a flop.

I defend my BB with a raggy ace. Flop is 224. He c-bets and I check raise. He calls. What can I put him on now? Turn is an ACE. It goes check-check. River is a blank and I make a decent sized river bet. He calls and mucks, very upset. Maybe he had like JJ? He was a decent player, although played a very cash game style. I saw him in the final 100 field...

Mentally, at the end of L14, I didnt feel right. I play a decent hand and finish the level at $140k, but really needed the break. I take stock of my position. From this point on, there is little difference between 100th place and 20th place. I need to pick up chips if I am going to avoid a min cash. I mentally prepare myself to not play tight for survival.

I open K9s from Hijack and get two callers. A K flops and I c-bet and both players call. Alarms are ringing and I shut it down.

I make a mental note that I am slightly below average stack for the first time in the tournament.

Japanese? Guy who doesnt speak English? has played just two hands in Day 2. The second time he doubled up with AA. He has about $60k and he shoves UTG. It folds to me in the BB and I have AKo. In other circumstances I could find a fold here, but since I put him on QQ-TT and AK/AQ, I decide that I need to call. He shows two red 6s. the runout sucks and I lose 60% of my stack.

My remaining $47k bleeds down to about $37k until I get KK in the SB. Cutoff opens for $9k. This is an easy shove and he will call. He tables QQ. A queen on the flop send me packing 91st.

If the Kings hold, I would still be below avg at $90k, but would have 30 BB, enough to keep making a run. And so it goes... I was not happy to go out. I was not celebrating my run. I was frustrated and what-not despite knowing that I ran well enough up to that point to not complain.

and now I record all this for some sort of weird posterity.

1 comment:

Memphis MOJO said...

To start L14, I induce a 3 bet by flatting my AK. A 4-bet squeeze comes and I get to shove and pick up $30k in chips without seeing a flop.

Nice!

You have really elevated your game in the past year and the write-ups show it. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that next year you do something really amazing!