Tuesday, September 13, 2005

poker and Monday Night Football

I played in the poker stars $1 tournamnent last night, since I missed the start of the charity tournament. I went to listen to Matt Millen talk (Go Lions). It was interesting in that I was completely emotionally detached from the process. I think I ended up 198th of 1200. You just can't afford to lose a race or to chase something and miss. I remember catching some players overplaying hands after the flop (like AK), but when you play solid poker, it is very hard to keep up with the average stack size. Alas, towards the end (<300 players), I missed to important draws. Both times I protected chips and both times I had the calling odds, but both times I missed. Neither was a good spot for a semi-bluff either. So, I eventually lost a race when my big pair lost to something marginal.

Anyways, A money place in one of these big fields continues to elude me. And you know what? I am going to find out why.

Question. Its level 9 and your stack is average. You are dealt 89o at UtG+1 (9 players). Do you limp, raise 2x, or raise 3x?

5 comments:

Acesfull said...

UTG+1 with 89o I fold. To much of a possiblity that someone behind will raise it. Late position same cards (Cut off or button) with limpers ahead I will limp and see a cheap flop (with an M of 15+).

Acesfull said...

Another possibility in late position with 89o level 9 and a semi tight table ….limpers ahead or folded to me I would raise it to 4.5-5x the BB (and try and steal the blinds and force limpers to fold).

columbo (at eifco dot org) said...

I think so too, yet I see so many people raise with any playable hand when FTA.

Acesfull said...

FTA?

columbo (at eifco dot org) said...

First to Act