Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Sherlock Holmes

"He is a very dangerous man. Unless we get catch him at a considerable disatvantage, we could very well be seriously harmed." -Sherlock Holmes

Now this is tournament thinking. I heard this quote on an old-time radio show on satellite radio this morning.

When I am in a tournament where the field has a wide range of talent, in the middle rounds I try and figure out not who to go after, but who to steer clear of. And I use this type of thinking. If I am going to play a pot with a very big stack or a vrey good player, I want to make sure I have 1 of 2 MAJOR advantages, Position or a Big Hand.

I am not going to war with the worst of it against someone who can break me. i.e., I am not looking to bluff off my chips to a big stack or a player who is having a good run of cards.

You might be asking yourself, "why does columbo constantly bring up ideas that are not directly related to poker." Good question.

"To be innovative, you need to learn from the best, even if that means outside the field of the subject matter."

We are looking to absorb and utilize successful behavioral patterns, not just play cards! That's where the cliche of self-improvement came from, "to be successful, surround yourself with successful people". Many people interpreted this as meaning the network was invaluable. It is. But there is more to it than that. Its the constant observation of the patterns of successful people.

Watch, absorb, learn.

No comments: