Monday, February 20, 2006

weekend ring game lessons

Well, in the donkey invitational I have made up some lost ground and I am now sitting at -25% EV. Why the improvement? Cash games. Had I learned the following 2 lessions earlier I would be sitting in an even better position:

1. Why can't people fold vs. a short stack when it appears they are behind?
I see this in tournaments too, but its as if because he cant take ALL of our stack, its ok to call when we may be behind. It isnt.

2. Why do we call big river bets?
In HE, big river bets come from STRONG hands. Sure, there is the Occasional bluff. Occasional. But mostly a BIG river bet is trying to get paid off for chasing. If you call it, then you are making a negative EV play. Stop it. Unless its me, then dont stop it :)

1 comment:

Matt said...

1. Why can't people fold vs. a short stack when it appears they are behind?

-For a tight player, it has the appearance that you are being pushed around by a smalleer stack. Even though you think you might be behind, ego comes into play

-Matt