Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Hoy-vay

Its level 2 and I am playing the Hoy, watching the game with the sound off, and occasionally watching Poker After Dark via the internet. After all, its level 2. I had to shut off the poker as I was dealt AA, KK and now QQ in level 2. Both AA and KK did not get called and won small pots. I have about 1500 or so and Someone raises it up to 100 (3.5x). I make it 300 to go with my QQ and it folds around to the original raiser. After a very brief pause, its all in.

Easy fold? Actually it was very tough. I have the 4th best starting hand. There are about 21 players in the tournament? There are 3 out? So, if I fold, I have 1100 left. Plenty of play. But I am in a tough field and would be in the latter half of the pack. Still, I think I can get away here.

Yet, something is nagging me. Maybe its the law of pairs. (Despite the odds of being dealt a pocket pair, 50% of the time you are, someone else at a full table is also. Not scientific, but often true. -Mrs. Columbo) In which case, I am against AA, KK? Well, why not JJ or less? I mean, why does he want me to fold so badly for 600 chips? And who is this guy anyway? I don't remember him.

So my thinking starts to clear. Like the fog dissipating, I see through the mist right into his soul (disclaimer: online soul not redeemable, no cash value). He has AK.

Now I have a NEW decision to make. Do I want to race AK, (assuming I am right) for all my chips, as a slight favorite. I chew through about 20 seconds on my time bank (this is why I like Stars, the time bank. That and Triple Draw) thinking about this.

In the end, for a reason I am not sure is correct, I decide I am not going to lay down as a favorite. I call, him shows AK and there is an Ace in the door, and the turn, and by the time the river card is dealt, the sound is back on the TV.

2 comments:

Simon said...

Mondays at the Hoy hey? Well... I own a blog. Sure it's not the greatest blog and I'm well overdue for a post and I don't have my own segment on a popular poker podcast. Nonetheless, I 'd like the opportunity to play with a few of you. 10pm Mondays ET is around 12:30pm here in Adelaide, Australia but still if all the planets align in some rare cosmic phenomena and I'm not working my arse off at my day job how do I sign up?

columbo (at eifco dot org) said...

The information is available on Hoyazo's blog. http://hammerplayer.blogspot.com/