Monday, April 20, 2009

The Return of Houdini?

Its been a long time since I abandoned blind chip utility in favor of escaping bad situations. In the 21k today, I made FOUR major laydowns. That is four more than I normally would make this year. Only 1 was even post-fold questionable, but in 1 case I avoided the dreaded "running into Aces" scenario. (AK CALLED AND WON, I HAD TT.)

Don't get me wrong, it was HARD folding TPTK to a river all-in and its very hard to allow a EP Raiser to shove you off of JJ. But there is a difference between a hard fold and calling. A big difference. One I have been blowing off lately.

And because of this, I had to play ShortStack poker more than I like to. But I was in there and not out on the rail. And like many luckboxes out there, surviving gave me an AA just when I needed chips. So I saw 2 major rivers and folded 4 major re-raise hands and somehow I have just enough for an average stack.

I dont know how this is going to turn out, but its nice having some of my old Houdini skills back.


UPDATE: Went out on the BUBBLE (17 until) AGAIN! when I made what I thought was a great read/call with 99. He turns over 88 and elation turns to dinner-time when he flops the set.

No comments: