Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Doctor, Doctor. It hurts when I do this.

Well, I figured out why I cant finish a tournament in the last few weeks. And its not mind blowing knowledge. Here's this thing about how I play NLHE. I like to control the pot size above all else. When I make a port size re-raise and a player then comes over the top, and I call with TPTK, I lose. 90% of the time. So why am I calling 90% of the time instead of 10%?



Me: Doctor, it hurts when I do this.

Doc: "Well stop doing that!"



I have driven myself to the edge of oblivian with TPTK calls. This must be the intermediate poker player's equivalent of the moron test. And I spent the last 3 weeks failing. Not jsut failing, but last night, TALKING MYSELF into calling! If that don't beat all!

In my mind, getting away from second best hand IS the key to MTTs that are 5 tables or less.

2 comments:

Scott Turner said...


I have driven myself to the edge of oblivian with TPTK calls. This must be the intermediate poker player's equivalent of the moron test.


Absolutely. Even at the donkey levels I play at, it's the rare person who will re-raise all-in without having better than TPTK. It's an insta-fold for me, although it often hurts to do so.

The next step in reasoning is that knowing this, you must avoid trapping yourself. You should almost never make a pot-committing bet (or raise) with TPTK. Stay below the pot-commit level or go all-in.

OhCaptain said...

At first, admitting we are powerless over our leak - that our game had become unmanageable,

Looks like you are on the road to recovery. Do you have a sponsor?

I think all of us struggle with this kind of problem. For me, I struggle with the hero call. Or periodically drawing too long.

Keep up posted if you find something that works!