Thursday, February 21, 2008

Strong Start, weak finish

So I started the Mookie by taking a race. VERY RARE for me, but I got the impression that I was facing JJ,QQ and I had AK. Normally a fold for me at normal starting stacks, the $1500 starting stack in the Mookie made me take the volatility. I doubled up and went on to add even more chips to take an early chip lead.

As the tournament went on, I was doing fine. But with 2 tables left, I ended up in a very strange place. With 12 left, I was the short stack at my table despite having a bigger stack than every single player at the other table. I have never had that happen on the bubble before and it’s a difficult position to be in. If I push at my table, I am very likely to be called. If I fold at my table, I will not make the final table. In the end, 5 handed, I pushed with 66 from UtG+1 and the giant stack on my left woke up with JJ. C’est la vie.

1 comment:

OhCaptain said...

It was fun playing with you last night.

That was one of the strangest stack discrepencies I've ever seen with two tables to go. You've got the middleish stack at a table a monsters. Not too mention you were smack dab in the middle of the two monster stacks.

I didn't like it that the stack I'd like to attack (yours, sorry) was smack dap in the middle of two stacks I'm trying to avoid. Surgical agression is something I haven't mastered yet.

Good game!