Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Advanced Betting Lines

I am seeing more clearly some of the betting lines we face on a daily basis. Naming them seems to help me with my pattern recognition, so I am including monikers with the lines.

The "Chan" Line (moniker from Daniel N.) - OOP opponent check-calls flop and leads on turn. This is a sign of strength, but gives little else away. I usually want a read on the opponent or some sort of hand to continue.

The "Ali" Line - An Opponent on your immediate left that calls your Pre-flop raise and then raises your c-bet no matter what. (named after the rope-a-dope). I am seeing ALOT more of this one.

The "Shark" line - I have seen another interesting one where the big stack limps from EP. The idea is that when someone reraises, when it folds to him he can decide to call if it results in heads-up play. He then either leads out or check-raises the flop.

I also notice that when some players are "raising for information", that they often do this with middle pair or TPWK. But they are creating a bigger pot which is harder to get to showdown. I am not sure I agree with this. All you can do is shutdown on the turn. Or are you going to fire a big barrel next?

And on that topic, I am re-evaluating the best c-bet size. MANY pros tell you to never vary your bet-sizes, so you sort of have to pick a size each level. I have RAISED mine to 75% in the early levels, where players like to chase draws, but have lowered it to 50% in middle rounds where players like to prey on c-bets. Any comments here?

Not much value in mentioning the "floater". Its so common now, that its hardly advanced. but what's with idiots floating and then not raising the turn when checked to? When I see that, I mark it down as PFW (post flop weak). If you have position, shouldn't you use it?

3 comments:

nzgreen said...

I love using the Chan line when I think my opponent is on a draw or they are betting the flop with air cause I showed weakness. It seems to confuse the hell out of people which is always good.

DubsPoke said...

In regards to cbet sizing, have you ever considered adjusting your cbet size based on your read of opponent's range?

While it is more of a cash game concept, it works quite well in the early stages of tourneys. Why cbet 75% when you know you have the best hand but you also know that your opponent's calling range is huge, might as well bet closer to pot and get more value.

Or let's say an K rag flop comes, and you have KQ. Might as well bet smaller and save a few chips. Key is to know your opponent and go from there. it's an idea I keep playing with and it has worked pretty well recently over an exceptionally small sample size.

kaka said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.