Monday, December 05, 2005

WPBT warm up event?

ok, not really. More of a $1 lotto tournament with 1200 entries. I cashed, despite being crippled twice. But this was by far my favorite hand:

Tournament Hold'em No Limit - Level V (75/150) < still relatively early on.
Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: (4600 in chips)
Seat 2: (8255 in chips)
Seat 3: (2670 in chips)
Seat 4: (13310 in chips)
Seat 5: (7077 in chips) <= quadrupled up and crippled me earler
Seat 6: (4648 in chips)
Seat 7: Columbo777 (2225 in chips) < have scratched and clawed my way back to avg.
Seat 8: (2845 in chips)
Seat 9: (1635 in chips)

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Columbo777 [Qd Js]
folds
folds
folds
Columbo777: calls 150 - two face cards at a tight table. I should raise here, but call because I intend to throw this hand away on any raise. Still, it was a MISTAKE to allow the blinds to see a free flop. I could have atleast raised to 2xBB.
folds
folds
folds
SB: calls 75
BB: checks

myself and the blinds see a flop, the pot is $450
*** FLOP *** [9h 8c Kd] < an gut shot straight draw.
SB: checks
BB: checks
Columbo777: checks < I decide not to make myself pay to draw. Plus, they probably have nothing and I have no need to win the blinds here. I want to win a bigger pot, so I am going to draw and bet the turn if they check. If I bet and they fold, I throw away an opportunity here as I only win the equivalent of 1 extra M. It's early so I'll take a FREE chance here from position. Consider me the villian here now.

*** TURN *** [9h 8c Kd] [Th] < bing-o bang-o
SB: bets 300 < wow! thanks!!! I also now know he will call a reasonable re-raise.
BB: folds
Columbo777: raises 300 to 600 < I think he will call a reasonable re-reaise, so I make a weak one like I am stupid. I hope he puts me on a bluff or a donkey play.
SB: calls 300 < the warning signs should have gone off, but they didnt!

the pot is now $1650 (and attractive)
*** RIVER *** [9h 8c Kd Th] [2d] < THUD. a total ROCK!! I hope he has a set with like 88!

SB: checks < why? Nothing but a bluff? Has he given up?

With the nuts here, what can I bet and get paid off? I am going to make a weak bet, and hope that if he does not have J7 (in which he is calling/raising no matter what), that he will think it's a bluff and he will call with a King.
Columbo777: bets 750 < sheepishly
SB: raises 900 to 1650 < oh my, he has J7!!
Columbo777: calls 725 and is all-in


*** SHOW DOWN ***
SB: shows [9c Ks] (two pair, Kings and Nines)

Oh man, an AWFUL river raise. He CHECK-RAISED when he was DEAD IN THE WATER. Even if he thought I was bluffing, this was a very basic level hold em mistake. How did he put me on just a pair? And why the river bet? How does he justify that risk? And even worse, just how bad was that check on the flop. He got tricky and expected me to bet and he would call or raise. Instead I get a free draw AND he bets when a scare card for him hits the board. And the worst sin at NLHE here? He NEVER applied any pressure to me until it was too late. He misidentified the "pressure point" of the hand.

Columbo777 collected 4600 from pot
SB is knock-ed out.

No comments: