Saturday, June 18, 2005

Singing the Blues

Hosted my monthly tournament, and only had 12 people. So we are playing short handed. When you play short handed, it is like being at a final table only the blinds are cheap. I saw a alot of flops that went nowhere and bleed like a pig. I was dealt about 25 connectors and did not hit on a single one. I finished the night in 6th. Get this. I had AA hit a SET and I had to lay it down to a made flush (and I was correct). Then I had JJ and had to lay it down to... QQ. Again, great lay down. Score card: Flushes: ZERO, straights: ZERO. sets: 1 loser. 2 pair: ONCE from the BB with 95. The rest was just gumption and bleeding. There was another pot stabber at the table who liked to fire out at pots post flop from early position and fold if they got played back at. Did not get more than one opportunity. Swore I would do it and when I looked at my 52o I lost my nerve. But I should have done it. No matter. In the end, the blinds were high and I had about a stack of 8xBB. I get A7o on the button and everyone folds to me. With just the blinds to contend with, I push and the SB has AK. My WIFE, however, kicked major ass and won the tournament. She may play for play money on party poker, but she plays 1000 hands a week and it adds up.

Tonight, I am not taking my beats well. I caught a guy with a straight draw pushing and I set him all in with the upper half of his straight cheated (his straight made me a straight). So he has FOUR outs with 1 card to come. A 6 seals my fate.

Earlier I got JJ pants by QQ and in the final hand had AQ... I cant even describe it. Here, see for yourself:

Hold'em No Limit - Level VI (100/200) (we both have $2400 ish which is just avg.)
Seat #3 is the button
ECALL: posts small blind 100
RamsLaw: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to Columbo777 [Qs Ac]
TarkZ: folds
Columbo777: raises 400 to 600
TheMadEph: folds
ShakeXXX: calls 600
cypruskid: folds
ECALL: calls 500
RamsLaw: folds
2callers for a 3xBB raise. $1800 pot.
*** FLOP *** [8h 2d 3s]
ECALL: checks I should bet here.
Columbo777: bets 600 just a stab to see who plays. BUT, it puts half my chips in the pot. I figure he needs something to do the same.
ShakeXXX: calls 600 why?
ECALL: folds
*** TURN *** [8h 2d 3s] [8s]
Columbo777: checks turns out, here AGAIN is the fatal mistake. Not firing the second barrel on the turn (or making a wimpy bet here too). HINDSIGHT, I can go all in here. but I HAD NOTHING.
ShakeXXX: checks
*** RIVER *** [8h 2d 3s 8s] [As] By all counts, I think I am ahead here.
Columbo777: bets 800
ShakeXXX: raises 370 to 1170 and is all-in
Columbo777: calls 370
*** SHOW DOWN ***ShakeXXX: shows [Kd Ad] (two pair, Aces and Eights)
Columbo777: shows [Qs Ac] (two pair, Aces and Eights - lower kicker)
ShakeXXX collected 5540 from pot
Chased the flop with AK. I just didn't think someone would do that. So, I gave him credit for a pocket pair. Did I underbet the pot, but gez. Was very surprised to get beat here. And poof, another MTT wasted.

No comments: