Saturday, August 27, 2005

What's your point?

I played in a local game last night, the write up of which I'll do a bit later. But there was a big hand and the two players were really brain locked thinking through the moves and deciding what to do. It was very exciting. Then, someone says, "why are you playing this like its the world series?". I was aghast. After the hand, I said to him, "If you're not going to play like it is, why play at all? I play every game like its $10000 buy in". Another player says "he does you know". But this player did not agree.

You might think this is an easy choice to agree with me. But its actually not. When I finally got knocked out on the most heinous of misreads, I know that it is not that simple.

There are 12 left of the original 32 and I have bled since the antes started. I WAS above average, but have not won a hand since sitting at my new table. There have been very few unraised pots. I am in the BB. The UtG limps?! A MP calls, the SB FOLDS! And I call with… the hammer! (I should have raised here, but gez). The flop is 875 rainbow. I bet out about ½ pot and the UtG calls. MP folds. I put him on a 2 high card 3 gap like AT or a nice suited connector such as JTs or QJs. Many of you are thinking, what about a baby pocket pair? Did not think so, just to exposed to limp with that UtG. He would make SOME sort of raise.

The turn is a 4 and I think I am in great shape. I can represent a straight or two pair, he probably has to let the hand go if I make a big bet here. Since the pot is now about $18k and I have $25k left, I go all in and expect him to fold. He QUICKLY calls. He flips over A6s. (the river was a 2 so I ended up with 2 pair).

Now, let me ask the million dollar question. If this WAS the WSOP, would you expect someone to play A6s UtG? I certainly did not.

oh, and the other player that made the comment about the WSOP? He was still in.

Am I "living a life of ilusion"?

No comments: