Friday, March 02, 2007

I think I'm so smart, don't I?

I am so smart, S-M-R-T.

So after running well and posting as such, I have to account for the following:

DOPS: First player out. (I am still 2nd overall in the standing)
Mookie: Out half-way, but never a factor
CC's game: Was second in chips, playing well, and fell into a tiger trap.

So much for my game at a higher level?

Two things account for my flame outs. In the first two games, I think I simply played too many hands. With shallow stacks, I bled too many chips, which caused me to have to take marginal edge chances.

In CC's game, I was dealt TT in EP and raised it up to 500. Blinds are high compared to stack size, I think it was 75/150 and stacks were around 3k for the better stacks. I get called by the button. The pot is about 1200 already and the flop is J78 rainbow. I have MP AND I have a gutshot if he hit a monster. I like my hand here, especially in the case where the nuts needs one of my cards (9T). I bet 1000 and the button goes into the tank. He decides to play in and goes all-in. The pot is huge and I have about 1700 left. It doesn't take me long to call as I expect to see 99. But instead I see 9T and IGHN.

Should I really be surprised there? I was because I had a loose image and here's the thing with a loose image at the table. You expect that players will come back after you in a big pot with a marginal holding like A8 here. But the re-raise, despite giving away I might be in trouble, really came too late to adjust to. or did it? What do you think?

2 comments:

gadzooks64 said...

HO MY GAWD.... that is so familiar.

I was playing the RakeTheRake freeroll last weekend when I raised it up early with 88 and get one caller - a big stack.

I have been playing very tight and was pretty short stacked.

FLOP: J78

I think I'm golden. Hard to believe other player called my raise with 9T.

I bet he called.

Turn a T. Oh Crap.

I bet, he raised, and LIKE THE IDIOT I AM I PUSHED.

What did he have? 9To for a flopped straight. Had I gotten it all in on flop like I probably should have the result would have been the same.

At least I had an opportunity to bail on the hand when the T hit, I just couldn't bring myself to believe that he would play it that way.

D'oh.

RTR Freeroll

columbo (at eifco dot org) said...

In retrospect, I think I really should have escaped this. Even if I cant put him on 9T, when the re-raise came, and him being a solid player, I should atleast have put him on AJ based on how the hand played. all my fault