Saturday, March 17, 2007

Omaha lament?

I figure I just lack the concentration right now to play good poker. I played O8B last night and spent more time having fun than actually making good decision. I made a HUGE amateur mistake in O8B last night. I pushed on the river with nut low. DONK. What the hell I am thinking? GEZ. Why in the world would I do that? I used to do that stupid stuff in hold'em back when I first started playing. Just lame.

Here is a VERY interesting question though. Here is a hand I am NOT in.

A player in O8B, on a board of like K975 and two spades has 4 pairs. He has a hand that matchses the board. The single opponent across the table bet pot on the flop and now bets pot on the turn putting the 4 pair guy all in. Now, if a low gets there, he can only take half the pot. And unless the board pairs, I dont think he wins high either. But any board card pairing gives him the scoop nuts.

Do you call for all your chips here with 4 pair? Its 8 outs and the pot is huge. and 1/2 your stack is already in. (I KNOW, ignore the fact that you should not even be in the pot with this hand.) What do you do?

Me, I am really not sure what is correct. Drizz, you out there?

Addendum:
I cant see how I am better than a 5 to 1 dog to scoop, and anything else I lose both. Was it hope-a-tron gambling, or I am missing something important?

5 comments:

Short-Stacked Shamus said...

Very interesting situation. My instinct is to say you aren't missing anything -- if, indeed, he can't win high without the board pairing, then there's no way the call can be correct here unless he just wants to gamble.

Depending on how the cards came out, he might actually win the high w/o pairing. E.g., if the flop was K95, I wouldn't put opponent on straight draw (nor a set). Nor would I put opponent on a low draw with that particular flop . . . .

Interesting situation, though. Essentially no longer a split game once we reach that decision point.

Unknown said...

Against A2 with the flush draw you're a slight favorite (but potting the flop is something I'd only to at a tight table)

Against ANY set (which is the only hand I see potting the flop) you're as bad off as AA vs. 22 in hold em and needing a set to win.

My rule in Omaha is bet with two pair but don't go to war with it.

David said...

Hi,

I'm a poker fan and up until now I played in some poker rooms. However, I never heard about this O8B game. Can someone please explain it to me? It actually sounds interesting...

Unknown said...

OK, I admit I'm a newbie to O8B, but it's your first comment that has me with a question... why is it such an amteur move to push with nut low? I realize the risks, and *I think* I get the rationalle, but I'd like to hear your comments on it, as I'm just learning the game.

Thanks

columbo (at eifco dot org) said...

against multiple opponents, you often end up being "quartered"