Thursday, May 13, 2010

Dunning-Kruger Effect and Poker

Have you ever noticed how incompetent people are often incredibly confident while the highly-skilled underestimate their ability to perform. That's called the Dunning-Kruger Effect named for Justin Kruger and David Dunning of Cornell University who published their study of said cognitive bias in 1999.

You see this on reality TV all the time.  And you see it at the poker table often enough.  I dont have some brilliant tie-in, just happy to see someone went out of their way to prove it exists.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I would argue (though you would agree with me I'm sure) this is how the highly skilled become so. They have high standards and do not settle for mediocrity. I worry about the people who are satisfied in whatever it is they do. They usually suck as a result.

Very interesting point.