Thursday, April 21, 2005

nobody knows... the trouble i've seen... nobody knows...

I went back to the 2-table SnGs last night because I need to rebuild my bankroll from the pounding it took at the NL cash tables this week. (I played only one and finished 8th/18 after some pretty good beats.)

SnGs have 3 distinct phases.

  1. The first is the early rounds or survival rounds. This works very similar to a ring game and its my weakest area and needs improvement.
  2. This is the middle rounds or "viper rounds". You are looking to strike at stacks like a viper. Quick, precise and deadly. Typically you are looking to prey on the weak and short stacked.
  3. The final phase or short handed phase. I excell here and can't wait until we get down to 6 or less.

I have been working on my phase one play and its been costing me a bundle. So many chasers, so many players hitting outs. So many call pre-flop raises of any accountable size. How does one tiptoe through the landmines? Can someone give me an answer OTHER THAN be tight agressive and only play premium hands. This just is not a good enough answer. You still have to accumulate SOME chips.

Here is a good example of me getting pounded at the ring game:

PokerStars Game Hold'em No Limit ($0.25/$0.50)

Seat #5 is the button
Seat 1:($21.95 in chips)
Seat 2:($20.95 in chips)
Seat 5: ($12.65 in chips)
Seat 6:($69.90 in chips)
Seat 7: ($30 in chips)
Seat 9:($11.75 in chips)

S6: posts small blind $0.25
Columbo777: posts big blind $0.50

*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to Columbo777 [9d 9s]
S6: folds
S1: raises $0.50 to $1
S2: calls $1
S5: folds
S6: calls $0.75
Columbo777: calls $0.50 [what should I do here? I mean 99 is ok, even a premium type 2 hand. But I got an early raiser (even though its small) and everyone wants to see the flop! Should I put in a big raise?
[pot size $4]

*** FLOP *** [8s 2c 5c]

S6: bets $2.25 <- nice size bet from first to act. Did he hit?
Columbo777: calls $2.25 <-is this a raise too?
S1: folds (original raiser)
S2: calls $2.25 [what would he call with. They all chase something, right?]

*** TURN *** [8s 2c 5c] [6h]
S6: checks
Columbo777: bets $5
S2 calls $5
S6: folds (huh? why now?)

*** RIVER *** [8s 2c 5c 6h] [6d]
Columbo777: checks (I lost 4 hands and 50% of my backroll this week when the board paired]
S2: bets $4
Columbo777: calls $4 (crying call now, right)

*** SHOW DOWN ***
S2: shows [6c 4c] (three of a kind, Sixes)
Columbo777: mucks hand

S2 collected $27.40 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
I suck. 64 suited called the raise, then he had a weak flush draw, then he had a flush and a little pair, then he hit. In retrospeck, it seems obvious that if you play with 4 callers, its a crap shoot. I must learn this lesson well, but when I do raise I run into big hands. (that's loser talk). I got to raise pre-flop with ring games! Why can't I do that? Answer: I am weak. I must fix that.

No comments: