Friday, April 15, 2005

The power of NL and starting chips

PokerStars Game #1524753891: Hold'em No Limit ($0.25/$0.50) - 2005/04/14 - 21:27:04 (ET) [capped $50 buy in]

Table 'Taygeta II' Seat #4 is the button
Seat 1: sixxxpac ($44.20 in chips)
Seat 2: rAAKKe ($76.45 in chips)
Seat 3: Columbo777 ($57.35 in chips) UP ABOUT $7 BUCKS JUST PLAYING SOLID. I am in the cutoff.
Seat 4: NextGretzky ($15.75 in chips)
Seat 5: monanooni ($30.50 in chips)
Seat 6: saint_nick ($23.05 in chips)
Seat 7: Gregory06 ($44.90 in chips)
Seat 9: Frankdawg18 ($79.25 in chips)
monanooni: posts small blind $0.25
saint_nick: posts big blind $0.50
eg6owner: sits out
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Columbo777 [9c 9s] (I played on Wed and this was the ONLY winning hand I was dealt all night. So, this looked pretty good to me tonight]
Gregory06: folds
Frankdawg18: folds
sixxxpac: folds
rAAKKe: folds
Columbo777: raises $1.50 to $2 [I am standardizing on 3xBB]
NextGretzky: folds
monanooni: calls $1.75
saint_nick: calls $1.50

*** FLOP *** [4s 5s 2h] <= could this be any better? All I am worried about is a set] monanooni: checks
saint_nick: checks
Columbo777: bets $5 <= a set would check here, so I need to bet out to see where I am. There is like $6.75 in the pot monanooni: calls $5
saint_nick: raises $16.05 to $21.05 and is all-in <= decision time! Does he have the set? Probably, but for some reason I call. Probably because it’s the FLOP and you usually wait to raise on the TURN with a set. I see so many people reraise the flop with just a pair, I guess I was not going to think it through. I did not think long enough for this call, and I will pay for it. Even so, lets look at the pot odds. I am getting 2-1 and I have an over pair. There are still two cards to come and he thinks he has made his hand. And why did monanooni call the $5?! I assume he’ll fold now and the saint flopped 2 pair or a str8 draw with a hand like 33. Columbo777: calls $16.05
monanooni: calls $16.05 <=ok, ONE of these guys has a set. The other is probably chasing a st8. But now I am getting 3-1 odds.
*** TURN *** [4s 5s 2h] [3s] (well, I picked up a flush draw…)
monanooni: checks
Columbo777: checks <= now I realize I NEED the free card here. I am probably behind. Note that nick is all-in. This comes back to haunt him. Now we both get a free card and my hand has possibly turned into a drawing hand. *** RIVER *** [4s 5s 2h 3s] [Qs] <= (as Arnold Horshack would say) OHH OHH OHH!!! Mr Kotter, I picked up a backdoor flush. monanooni: bets $5 <=now make sense of THAT bet? He made a flush also? And he only left himself with $2.45? Columbo777: raises $5 to $10 <=at this point its only $2.45 more into a BIG pot. monanooni: calls $2.45 and is all-in
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Columbo777: shows [9c 9s] (a flush, Queen high)
monanooni: mucks hand
Columbo777 collected $14.90 from side pot
saint_nick: shows [4d 4c] (three of a kind, Fours) <=ouch, the power of no limit in REVERSE. Had he bought in for more chips, he could have put more pressure on the turn and I would have folded the draw.
Columbo777 collected $66.15 from main pot
saint_nick leaves the table

This was a tale of someone getting involved in a table that he could not afford. Because he bought in for only $20 when all the others were in for $50, he was unable to maneuver and had to decide when to get his money in. He made a good decision there, but when we called, he could no longer punish us for our mistake. He was against 2 opponents with no more weapons to weird. He was forced to sit back and watch the torture. If you can’t put up a stack in a NL ring, then don’t sit down. Don't let this happen to you.

Yes, today’s words of wisdom on a hand I won, but should have LOST.

No comments: